G5 fan revving problems with YDL 4.0.1?

Brian Durant RoadTripDK at MyRealBox.Com
Sun Jan 29 09:17:29 MST 2006

Besides the confirmation that I posted before, referring before to
what was mentioned on the Fedora PPC list, I have now gotten yum to
work, did a 'yum update' and then tried the instructions with a 'yum
install kernel-g5' and was told by yum that I have the latest version.

Besides the fan issue, I have the following issues:

1) New problem after the 'yum update'. Now I have both a CD/DVD-ROM
and a CD-ROM icon on the desktop. The device I have came with my G5,
so I assume that it is some sort of SuperDrive. Here are the specs:

SONY DVD RW DW-U21A:

   Firmware Revision:	AADB
   Interconnect:	ATAPI
   Burn Support:	Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
   Cache:	2048 KB
   Reads DVD:	Yes
   CD-Write:	-R, -RW
   DVD-Write:	-R, -RW, +R, +RW
   Burn Underrun Protection CD:	Yes
   Burn Underrun Protection DVD:	Yes
   Write Strategies:	CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

2) I ran 'system-config-sound' after having run 'yum check-update',
'yum list updates' and 'yum update' + a reboot. I got an error
message. Sorry I can't be more specific. See more in #3.

3) I have a problem with getting my FAT32 formatted USB key to mount.
I have been using that to transfer text files from my Linux boots to
my OS X boot, where I do all of my e-mail writing as I can't stay
booted into YDL for too long with the fan revving problem. I get a
usb (driver???) error message right at the start of the boot process.