yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 17, Issue 13

Francisco Oseguera G. foseguerag at terra.com
Mon Jan 30 08:23:00 MST 2006

Brian: you're going through a good deal of pain to get your YDL system well up and running; at the end, you'll rest assured that you have gained a lot of know-how about how to fix these annoying issues. But let me put my grain of sand for you to get a smoother transit into Linux.

How to execute commands by means of 'su' without leaving your own user acount? You do it this way:
$ su -c "here_goes_your_command /and --parameters" [ENTER]
...and it'll ask the root password. Notice the double quotes; the command has to be written between double quotes in order for the OS takes it as a unit.

Hope it still reaches you useful.

Francisco.

> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 18:00:21 +0100
> From: Brian Durant
> Subject: YDL help for my G5.
> To: Yellow Dog Linux Newbie List

> Here are some pretty fundamental problems that I can't seem to get
> around. These need to be dealt with before the problems in my last
> posting are addressed:
>
> 1) I can start a root session, but YDL doesn't recognize the root
> password when I try to do a command like:
>
> $ su tail -f /var/log/messages [ENTER]
>
> $ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages [ENTER]
>
> $ root tail -f /var/log/messages [ENTER]
>
> (This is when I am in a normal user session)
>
> 2) "yum check-update" returns something about some file missing in /
> var/....
>
> Cheers,
>
> Brian

> End of yellowdog-newbie Digest, Vol 17, Issue 13
¡Sobre autos lo sabemos todo, y te podemos ayudar!
Ya sea para comprar, vender o comparar autos, entra en el canal de autos de Terra.com
Te aconsejamos, te informamos y te mostramos todo lo que necesitas saber.
http://www.terra.com/autos