update on Re: MPlayer problems

Paul Higgins (U of M) higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Feb 9 20:30:11 MST 2006

It's taken me a month or so to get back to the whole MPlayer issue.  As for
the last piece of advice given on this list, all I can say is, no such luck:

$ cd /usr/bin
$ ./mplayer
MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
Illegal instruction

I did make sure that my yum.conf was pointing to the latest rpm repositories
as per the how-to instructions on the YDL site.  I also have a couple
alternate sites in yum.conf as well.  The MPlayer binary came from the YDL
site.

I guess I'll be learning to compile from source and/or installing xine, which
sounds like a much less problematic package.  (Oh, I might add, the latest
binaries of MPlayer for OS X are also buggy, so this must not be a problem
that is confined to Linux).

Thanks for everyone's help!

-PRH