update on Re: MPlayer problems

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Feb 11 09:59:04 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-10 at 03:30 +0000, Paul Higgins (U of M) wrote:
> It's taken me a month or so to get back to the whole MPlayer issue.  As for
> the last piece of advice given on this list, all I can say is, no such luck:
>
> $ cd /usr/bin
> $ ./mplayer
> MPlayer 1.0pre6-3.3.3 (C) 2000-2004 MPlayer Team
> Illegal instruction
>
> I did make sure that my yum.conf was pointing to the latest rpm repositories
> as per the how-to instructions on the YDL site.  I also have a couple
> alternate sites in yum.conf as well.  The MPlayer binary came from the YDL
> site.
>
> I guess I'll be learning to compile from source and/or installing xine, which
> sounds like a much less problematic package.  (Oh, I might add, the latest
> binaries of MPlayer for OS X are also buggy, so this must not be a problem
> that is confined to Linux).
>
> Thanks for everyone's help!
>
> -PRH

Hi!

Unfortunately, that statement "Illegal instruction" refers to a internal
programming problem which the Mplayer team missed.  So it won't matter
what OS the program is run under, if the problem is related to any one
of a thousand potential programming errors every line of code will have
to be explored to determine what the problem actually is.

Which is why I pointed to another application entirely, namely xine,
which has acquired quite a list of enthusiasts.

Good luck ....