WMV9 codec for xine?

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Feb 21 13:31:46 MST 2006

Sorry, guys...didn't mean to ignite a flamewar!

I went to the xine site and couldn't tell for sure which codecs were supported
on PPC.  The WMV9 codec is mentioned but it isn't immediately clear if that's
something that is an add-on.  Guess I'll check out their help board to see
what's up with WMV9.  It really is lame how much proprietary, non-open
multimedia content is out there on the web.

> Theres none available that works on PowerPC, the only way to play WMV9
> movies on Linux is by wrapping x86 binary codecs

So there is no binary codec available for PPC, then?  I'm a little confused
because the xine site, and some of the documentation that came as part of
xine, mentions WMV9 support.  Well, I guess I need to go back to the xine
site and start posting, anyway.

Thanks,
-PRH