yaboot architecture

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Feb 28 09:41:04 MST 2006

Instead of addressing the "grubby" details if you actually visit Terra
Soft's website, the people who developed Yellow Dog Linux the supported
hardware for the current version of YDL is posted:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/breakdown/

Essentially the hardware are all varieties of PowerPC systems.  The
architecture is so vastly different between PowerPC and Intel based
compatibles that even the order of how data is both read and stored in
the computer registers are reversed!  That is merely one distinction.
It cannot even be compared to how some human languages read from left
to right and others from right to left.  Believe me, the distinctions
of the architectures if one were to seriously try to comprehend it
would take several upper level computer science courses over at least
three semesters and that would be a mere introduction regarding what is
going on.

As you don't have a PowerPC system perhaps some technical references
may satisfy your curiosity and assist you in considering whether you
wish to explore this side of computer research and processing.  You can
check here:

http://btobsearch.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/results.asp?
WRD=PowerPC&z=y&btob=Y

The reference:
The Linux Kernel Primer: A Top-Down Approach for x86 and PowerPC
Architectures
Claudia Salzberg Rodriguez, Gordon Fischer, Steven Smolski

may sate you.

By the way, this area of Barnes & Nobles is dedicated to Professional
and Technical works; it's a nice resource.  Not as neat as having
access to all the reference works of all the libraries on the planet,
but it's pretty cool.

Best wishes ...