YDL 4.1 freezes at login screen on G5 tower singel (PowerMac 9.1).

Brian Durant brian at durant.dk
Mon Mar 13 03:41:12 MST 2006

Kai Staats wrote:
> Brian,
>

>>My YDL 4.1 install freezes at the login screen. CTRL ALT DEL (backspace)
>>doesn't work, the mouse is frozen and I can't get a console. I have a G5
>>tower single (PowerMac 9.1).
>

> Do you have any PCI cards? USB or FireWire accessories?

I found some of my old e-mails on this issue, which is well known and
experienced in other distros as well. It has to do with the ARTSD (driver?).

Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:

 > well, this seems to be the major remaining hurdle. some people were
 > saying that the sound was the problem, saying to disable artsd and
 > esd:
 >
 >     http://www.suseforums.net/index.php?showtopic=19034
 >     http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-89712.html
 >
 > that seems to be a little suspect to be but who am I to say.

The general opinion seems to be that it is necessary to change the name
of artsd and move it to another directory (not sure what Terrasoft would
recommend).

I have managed to get into runlevel 3 by running "linux runlevel 3" at
boot. The system functions fine without X, and also works fine when I
afterwards run "startx". Shutdown however, is another matter, as I am
also experiencing the following issue:

Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:
 > Do you mean:
 >      ata1: command 0x35 timeout, stat 0x50 host_stal 0x4
 >      hda lost interrupt
 >      mpic_enable_irq timeout
 > Because others reported that here:
 >     http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75145.html
 > and here:
 >     http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-89712.html
 > so you are not alone.

I understand that YDL 4.1 is based on Fedora Core 4 and therefore has
the same issues, but I am surprised that YDL 4.1 seems to be still
following FC4 slavishly when FC 5 test 3 Rawhide seems to have sussed
out some of these problems. I realize I am a newbie, but it seems to me
that people not only expect more from a commercial distro, vs. a free as
beer distro like FC or Ubuntu, but that is a definite marketing
advantage in a situation like this, where all of the PPC distros seem to
be struggling to get the Apple PPC hardware under control.

That is at least why I purchased the YDL 4.1 boxed set, because I expect
more from a distro that I purchase. That isn't just in reference to
support, but also in reference to having solved some of the issues that
the free as beer distros are still muddling around with. Instead, it
seems like Terrasoft is taken by surprise over issues that have been
posted on the Internet for months. While the above are the issues I have
expected answers from so far, we have yet to deal with the thermal
control (windfarm_91) issues that I am experiencing.

The only reason that I haven't filed a support ticket on the above
issues, since I purchased a boxed set, is that I am still waiting for
my copy to arrive from Germany. The reality is however, that in my
opinion, I shouldn't have to file a separate support ticket. These
issues are so fundamental that all users should expect a solution.

Brian