YDL 4.0.1 and Blue&WhiteG3

Brian Turner brian at turnersystems.com
Sun Mar 19 09:14:03 MST 2006

On Mar 18, 2006, at 11:12 PM, Eric Dunbar wrote:

> On 19/03/06, Eric Dunbar <eric.dunbar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. Is it possible that the OP meant to write Bmac instead of
> Gmac???!!!!
>
> I noticed that I still had my old /etc/modprobe.conf~ file and this is
> the file's contents:
>
> alias snd-card-0 dmasound_pmac
> alias eth0 bmac
> install dmasound_pmac /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install dmasound_pmac &&
> /usr/sbin/alsactl restore >/dev/null 2>&1 || :
> remove dmasound_pmac { /usr/sbin/alsactl store >/dev/null 2>&1 || : ;
> }; /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove dmasound_pmac
>
> Note: you can simply edit this file with nano:
> su
> nano /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Eric
Success! it was supposed to be bmac instead of gmac

I did:
su
/sbin/modprobe bmac

I then went to the gnome and activated the interface. A reboot
probably would have worked too. I now can access web pages via IP
address.
I need to put in the DNS settings but I think I have seen that.

I think that the install routines put in the right driver but then
call it by the wrong name. locate gmac found nothing. This sounds
like a terrasoft problem. Out on the net both bmac and gmac were
sometimes referred to as being in this machine. It is possible that
apple switched that without any other change and that a later
blue&white would have a gmac. I think that Apple dosn't change the
name of products so that orders for discontinued products will
automatically get filled by their replacements. It sure gives us
techs fits.

I did try to do exactly this in the GUI in Gnome but it didn't work.
I don't think that the GUI is 100% functional.

Eric, Andrew, thanks a ton for your help.