Installing to a G3 in target mode via a G5

H. Apfel linux at apfel-edv.de
Sun Mar 19 14:31:11 MST 2006

I've got a special problem here: a G3 iBook with a broken CD drive
(read errors somwhere mid-install), so I have to install YDL from
outside. unfortunately the only other machine which is availabe is a
G5. So if I put the G3 into target mode and use install firewire on
the G5 a 64-bit kernel is installed on the iBook - which (you guessed
it!) won't work :-(

Is there any way to tell the installer which hardware to expect eventually?

Thanks a lot

Holger

Otoh, I might just buy another iBook, wait another 13 days and split
the FW cable to do a simultanous install on 2 32-Bit systems...