Installing to a G3 in target mode via a G5

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Mar 19 15:31:58 MST 2006

Just an idea, but perhaps a local library, university, college or
school would allow you to have access or borrow (on loan) a cd drive
created in the same era as your G3 iBook.
Failing that swapping out your CD drive for a compatible replacement
may be an option; when considering such problems of repairs, parts etc,
you may be interested in checking out www.fastermacs.net, more
popularly known as Other World Computing or OWC.

As mostly every installer is designed to run from the hardware it is to
be installed upon; a "target mode" option could work only if the
installer had information regarding the G3.  Most G3's are Old World
and need the BootX control panel to be operational in the Classic MacOS
environment so that one can boot into YDL from BootX.  In your
situation, this means that at the very least you may need not only a
working CD drive; you may also need a functioning BootX from which to
load and use Linux while you are on a G3.  Also if your intention is to
use the current version of YDL, you will have to make sure the
parameters of BootX are such that you will be able to run YDL 4.0 or
YDL 4.1

Not to suggest anything which would not interest you, but if you are
interested in 32bit systems a G4 Powerbook doesn't need the above
steps.  Indeed if you don't care for OS X as many don't you can easily
wipe clean the PB drive and install YDL 4.1 on it and the thing will
run really, really fast and you'll have a full scale server as a
laptop.

Of course, we all eventually choose whatever makes sense within the
tasks we would like to engage upon vs. the economics involved in doing
so.  OWC could be useful in assisting you in considering the cost
equation in acquiring parts, etc.

Good Luck...