question about wi-fi

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Mar 23 19:36:54 MST 2006

Hi Paul:
A clarification: Apple designed the iBooks, Powerbooks and other
portables using Airport and Airport Extreme in such a way that if these
portables were purchased together with the Airport or Airport Extreme
installed then the PCMCIA slots would remain available for other
extensions or additions.  In other words, the PCMCIA slot remains an
extra available port for using all sorts of devices usually reserved
for Windows or Linux.  There are tons of emulators for Linux and lots
of drivers for these PCMCIA devices if one does the research carefully
and decide within one's budget just what one wants to use when and for
what.  As you have Airport, embedded in your laptop you don't need any
other wireless device for Linux.  Just select Airport, associate it
with eth1 from within Network config if you are within Gnome or KDE and
you should be wireless nearly immediately.  You explained you've had
trouble with YDL 4.0.1; you shouldn't have trouble with YDL 4.1.  A
little experimentation will reveal to you which interface works best in
your environment.  Airport should have no trouble linking to whatever
nodes are available; the issue will be the interface.  As usual each
person must judge for themselves what works best; your advantage will
be as a student you have access to all the other students who have
similar problems.

Use the PCMCIA slot for something cool and smooth and maybe a bit
unheard of .... like a TV transmitter that fits into the PCMCIA slot!!
Go ahead... bug your buddies out with how the PB or iBook is not
supposed to be able to do that!  Remember Linux is a completely
different universe!!  I haven't tried this myself, but hey you're the
student... this is as good a time to cosy up with the dweebs in the
Physics & Comp. Sci. departments listen a bit to what's hot, what's
going on and maybe see how you fit in or learn enough electronics to
trick out or mod your own machine.  Check out the back issues of
various electronic, linux and similar tech magazines see what you can
find which interests you.

By the way, because you have the Airport card installed, you will have
lots of choices regarding which interface you choose to use within
Linux.  KwifiManager just being one of them.

YDL is sturdier and faster than OS X.  Considering the other advantages
of one OS or the other will vary according to your skills and needs
(and assignments).  You may find it convenient (and practical) to
partition your laptop such that you have both Linux and OS X available
so that you utilize the best of what both offers.

Congratulations on pursuing a career and education.  Delve and study as
well as you can and investigate expanding the skills you have ever
wider.  There is no area of study in which a mathematical and
technological/scientific foundation will not be fundamental and
perpetually useful for the duration of one's life.  So use the time you
have and focus.
Be innovative with the computers, technologies, research, libraries and
whatever is there for you to utilize and explore as a developing
professional.

Just an idea but if you want more than one firewire port or the USB
ports provided by Apple, consider getting a PCMCIA card with those
features ... why not??  OS X might recognize them, might not; but Linux
most likely will.  So use the PCMCIA ports to your need and advantage.
Otherwise, be imaginative!

Good Luck ...