YDL installation on G5 Xserver problem

Kai Staats kstaats at terrasoftsolutions.com
Thu Mar 30 09:32:28 MST 2006

Dmitry,

> I have only terminal connection to the G5 Xserver, cause there is no video
> port on it. Installation process started, however YDL doesn't boot and I
> can't see any prints/logs.

The Xserve by default prints messages to video, not serial. The serial output
must be invoked by both firmware and the kernel in order to gain full RS232
control. W/out the proper kernel, the machine will hang, as you have noted.

This is one of the features that Y-HPC offers, a kernel config for serial
output. Let's take this conversation off-line/direct as it is more related to
HPC than newbie.

kai