No Firewire install possible? -- corrected

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Apr 6 08:20:06 MDT 2006

Hi Jason:
I am saddened that you are having so many problems.  By the way, I
really like that Will Rogers quote.

Now to attempt to address at least a few questions or issues.

I had previously  stated an approach regarding formatting; however what
you are reporting is not really a formatting problem per se.  There is
an application within anaconda which allows you to format any drive if
it is physically connected, and of course -- turned on.  One can use
that to reformat an entire external drive the exclusive use of YDL.
Returning to your direct issue, you may have to test that firewire
port.  There are many applications out there, but the most reliable in
my view is Micromat's Tech Tools Pro.  It contains facilities to test
the hardware as much as can be done without a user turning his home
into an engineering research center.  It produces a rather detailed
report on each system.  You could use Apple's Hardware test program
which is on the System CD also, it may be of some help.  Keep in mind
though Apple recommends and uses Micromat's product itself and
recommends it to their developers.

Regarding the md5 test, it is a good idea to complete the test before
the disks are burned and later tested by mediacheck.
The md5 test to use is invoked from within the Terminal application
available within OS X.  It is run upon the iso's you downloaded and you
compare the md5 result of each iso against the actual md5 values
reported by TSS.  If there is any variance at all no matter how small
from the standard TSS md5 values, you know at that point that there was
a problem with the download and it is at that point where you proceed
to do a new download from a different or the same mirror until the md5
values match.  When they finally do match then that is the iso to burn.

Maybe you've tried the above; I mention them merely on the chance that
one or both was something you skipped or otherwise omitted.

Good Luck...