No Firewire install possible?

Jason Christiansen jchristiansen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 18:12:58 MDT 2006

Hi everyone-

Thanks for the replies.  I figured there must be some other people
having the same issues, so I figured I would post on the list and see
if anyone had any qork-arounds to suggest.

As for formatting and the MD5 checks, that is what I'm doing, in the
order & manner you suggested.  no problem mentioning it, I usually
forget pretty basic things which would make it a lot easier to get
things running.

I do check the MD5 values against the values from TerraSoft, with no
issues at all.  All four downloaded images checked out exactly the
same, which is why it puzzles me that #'s 2-4 pass all media checks,
while #1 continues to fail.

I use drive utility to partition the FW drive, with about 20GB of
freespace at the top, and another partition beneath formatted for OS
X.  I then install a basic system of OS X on the second partition, as
described in the manual so Anaconda can recignize the OS X partition
and I can use the Mac on Linux functionality (if not, please let me
know, I could definitely be doing something wrong).  I then boot from
Disk #1, but again, this might be a moot point since the mediacheck
fails on this disk, so I might just be back to square 1.

I'm definitely not giving up on this, I'm actually very anxious to
start using YDL on my machine, but I'm starting to get to the point of
thinking of getting another internal HD so I can just install it
internally...the installer finds everything that's internal.

If I'm getting anything wrong, or if anyone can think of anything
else, pleae do let me know...I'm far from a power user (of Linux,
anyway), so I can definitely be taking one (or several) missteps.

Thanks for all the help!

-Jason

Hi Jason:
I am saddened that you are having so many problems.  By the way, I
really like that Will Rogers quote.

Now to attempt to address at least a few questions or issues.

Was the firewire drive itself formatted according to the directions
recommended and published in the installation manual?
The two step process involves the use of the Apple Disk Utility to
partition the firewire drive so that it is formatted as Free Space.
After that is done then the standard YDL installation proceeds, and
then anaconda should have no trouble seeing the drive.

Regarding the md5 test, it is a good idea to complete the test before
the disks are burned and later tested by mediacheck.
The md5 test to use is invoked from within the Terminal application
available within OS X.  It is run upon the iso's you downloaded and you
compare the md5 result of each iso against the actual md5 values
reported by TSS.  If there is any variance at all no matter how small
from the standard TSS md5 values, you know at that point that there was
a problem with the download and it is at that point where you proceed
to do a new download from a different or the same mirror until the md5
values match.  When they finally do match then that is the iso to burn.

Maybe you've tried the above; I mention them merely on the chance that
one or both was something you skipped or otherwise omitted.

Good Luck...

--
Jason Christiansen
jchristiansen at gmail.com

"You can't say civilization isn't advancing;
in every war they kill you in a new way."
  --Will Rogers