No Firewire install possible?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Fri Apr 7 19:50:00 MDT 2006

Hi Jason:

>From what you discussed it is a bit clearer that a different strategy
might work.  For instance, the Apple Disk utility needs to be set to
partition both the partition for use by OS X and the partition for use
by Linux (which for us is YDL) -- at the same time.  In other words, the
Apple Disk Utility should be instructed (splitting the Firewire drive
into 2) to prepare the partition for OS X by naming that partition as
MacSpace (for example) and formatted for hfs or hfs+; the Linux
partition should be named as (Untitled) and formatted as Free Space.
This is the precise time to determine how large the Linux partition will
be before you execute this step.

When the Apple Disk Utility finishes, all it will see will be the OS X
partition.  At this point, this is where you return to the installation
portion of the same System CD so that you can install OS X onto that new
partition you created for OS X.

Or if there are essential files on the OS X portion of the Firewire
drive or elsewhere, back those files up before the above is executed.
Then after the backup is completed follow the steps above and then
reinstall those files onto the newly created OS X partition.

When that is complete, then you move onto following the standard install
process recommended by TSS onto the Linux portion of the Firewire drive.
Within the partition portion of the Linux installation process I don't
recall whether parted or something else is used pay attention to not
disturb the OS X partition structure.  Your intention is to install and
create ext3 formatted sectors for Linux to use; it is really easy (too
easy) to misread the information and destroy the OS X partition
structure from within the Linux installation process.  So select the
correct sectors and note where they are in your own shorthand somewhere;
insure the root and swap and user partitions are setup properly and then
your installation should proceed forward.

If there are still problems consider using a tool like Micromat's Tech
Tools Pro to test your drive and firewire ports.

Best of luck....