Soft Modem Woes

Walter Johnson walterjohnson at ev1.net
Mon Apr 17 13:14:22 MDT 2006

This is my first post and I am happy to say that I finally got YDL  4.0
installed on my 1.8 Gig G5.  I use a dial-up connection.  My modem is
not compatible with YDL nor any other distribution (I've read a lot on
the internet.)  I have tried a Linuxant driver, attempting the
installation both manually and using their installer.  After the manual
installation, I could not get the modem to work under any configuration
in kppp.  Using their installer the computer has been stalled for an
hour + on the error:

ERROR: ioctl(TIOCSPTLCK) failed at /home/wj/selfgz3874/webconf/../suwrap
line 54

I know there are few dial-up users, but I am asking the list what my
option(s) are for getting an internet connection.

Thanks in advance
-walt

BTW - YDL is beautiful on my 20 inch monitor.