Soft Modem Woes

Badger badgerclan at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 02:09:06 MDT 2006

> > From: Walter Johnson <walterjohnson at ev1.net>
> > Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 14:14:22 -0500
> > To: <yellowdog-newbie at lists.terrasoftsolutions.com>
> > Subject: Soft Modem Woes
> >
> > This is my first post and I am happy to say that I finally got YDL  4.0
> > installed on my 1.8 Gig G5.  I use a dial-up connection.  My modem is
> > not compatible with YDL nor any other distribution (I've read a lot on
> > the internet.)  I have tried a Linuxant driver, attempting the
> > installation both manually and using their installer.  After the manual
> > installation, I could not get the modem to work under any configuration
> > in kppp.  Using their installer the computer has been stalled for an
> > hour + on the error:
> >
> > ERROR: ioctl(TIOCSPTLCK) failed at /home/wj/selfgz3874/webconf/../suwrap
> > line 54
> >
> > I know there are few dial-up users, but I am asking the list what my
> > option(s) are for getting an internet connection.

I'm in the same position from my home. Emailed both Best and Zoom and
only Zoom replied. Zoom sales contacted me and recommended the
2986-00-01C model which is a USB Mac modem. Sales said that if I had
any questions to contact support but support doesn't support Linux.
However the modem does work with Linux. Go to
http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x332.html for directions and
http://www.usbman.com/linuxusb.htm for other info on other  modems.

It amazes me that few distributions make it easy for dialup users.
Between that and graphic chip manufactures not releasing drivers under
the GNU I wonder if Linux will get popular with most home users.

Oh, the Zoom is great too when using OS X. Use to have a problem with
the built in software modem on my Mini dropping connections under a
heavy CPU load. Not with this baby.

Hope this helps.

--
Chris D. (Badger)

"What is time? The shadow on the dial, the striking of the clock, the
running of the sand, day and night, summer and winter, months, years,
centuries - these are but arbitrary and outward signs, the measure of
Time, not Time itself. Time is the Life of the soul."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow