Group of "sudoers"?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat May 6 09:30:10 MDT 2006

Hi Jason:
There is a special version or component of vi which needs to be invoked
to access the sudoers file.
It is called visudo.
It is invoked from within superuser mode:

#visudo

The space (following the visudo command) indicates that you press the
Enter/Return key immediately afterwards.
You will be entered into the sudoers file.  You will see:

root ALL=(ALL) ALL

It is underneath the above line that one enters the user identity which
the system will recognize together with root, and grant root
privileges.
Let's suppose I choose the user id to be moabdeeb, then recalling that
visudo acts just like vi, I press the escape key followed by the shift
and :, then the letter i on the keyboard which tells vi and visudo that
this file will have a new entry and then do the following:

moabdeeb ALL=(ALL) ALL

To save, press the escape key followed by w (for write, to save this
change).  The sudoers file should now read as follows:

root ALL=(ALL) ALL
moabdeeb ALL=(ALL) ALL

Any other users are added to the sudoers file in a similar manner.

Quitting (after saving) from visudo, is exactly the same for visudo as
it would be for vi.  Understanding therefore how vi/vim works is
essential for accessing and using visudo properly.  If one needs to
learn more regarding vi/vim one can use vimtutor or vitutor.  This is
done by:

#vimtuor

or

#vitutor