Username and Password?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun May 7 09:09:02 MDT 2006

Hi Nate:
The installer can be set so that one is either in the text or graphical
interface mode.  The graphical mode although nice is limiting in that
one does not have access to as many commands one may need to execute
during an emergency or other unforeseen problem which may arise, as the
text interface provides or allows access to.

During the installation process one is asked to enter a password and a
username.  Now, a few don't enter a username but do enter a password.
Usually Linux will interpret that action that the password is for root.
  This means as far as the system is concerned that Linux, here Yellow
Dog Linux, there is only one user -- known as root.   This means that
when you login you can only login as root.  For instance, when the
system queries you for the username when it boots up or begins:

username:

Your response can only be one thing:

username: root

After you type root make sure to press the Enter or Return key.  Next
the system will query you for the password.  Like this:

password:

Hardly a conversation, but it is direct.  This is where you enter the
same password you gave the system during the installation process.
When you type your password make sure you really know it or read from
some paper record you can refer to because the system will only print
stars regardless what the password is.  For instance:

password:************

The system will count or include commas, periods, upper and lower case
letters; this means that the system will only recognize passwords as
valid passwords when the characters originally entered during the
install process are re-entered in exactly the same sequence.

Ok?

Once you are in Linux, keep in mind that it is not a good idea to be
logged in as root.  So you will create another name for yourself (if
you are the only user) and from this time forward use that name
whenever you login.  This method is a safety measure while you are
learning Linux, as Linux treats other users from root differently
allowing limited and less access to certain system level commands.  As
you learn more, you can access those commands via superuser or
modifying the sudoers file.  Leave that for the future, for now
consider that option unavailable.

I am not sure whether the way to add yourself (or anyone else) as a
user is to use the useradd or adduser command.  When you are within
Linux you can do:

man useradd

or

man adduser

to find out.  You will be given instructions by the system itself which
should be straightforward.  If there are further questions, come back
here and ask.

Someone should be able to respond.

Best wishes...