printing (finally some success)

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Jun 7 22:51:35 MDT 2006

Thanks for the advice.  I'm currently using KDE rather than Gnome, but your
points are well taken.  Basically, I missed a couple of settings in K Menu >
Control Center > Peripherals > Printers.  In the KDE print wizard, you need
to select "other printer type" under "backend selection".  The printer
address can be entered there as <lpd://[IP address]/>.  After that it was a
simple matter of selecting the proper driver for my printer.

There is one confusing thing about the CUPS print system that I haven't
figured out yet.  I can make changes to the print system using the KDE
Control Center, but if I use CUPS in a browser (the CUPS address is
<http://localhost:631/>), the browser just hangs when I select "manage
printers".  My Epson 1520 never actually appears in a browser window.  By
using a terminal, I can see that running CUPS from a browser also starts up
several processes (cupsd, printers.cgi) that use up a lot of processor power
(basically all of it) and these continue to run until reboot (or until they
are stopped by using the kill command).  I don't know what's up with that.
However, CUPS from Control Center does work, so I guess I'll just forget
about accessing it from a browser.

-PRH