edit yum config file

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Jun 17 22:48:24 MDT 2006

Hi,

I'm a little confused as to why there are two baseurls in several of the
categories (base, updates, etc.) of your yum.conf file.  I can see that
several are commented out with a # but there seems to clearly be more than
one baseurl for several things.  Does this simply mean that yum looks in both
these categories at the same time?

I'm also curious about several of the other lines in your yum.conf (e.g.
"tolerant, exactarch, obsoletes", etc.).

Here's my yum.conf, which is very straightforward:
----------------
[main]
cachedir=/var/cache/yum
debuglevel=2
logfile=/var/log/yum.log
pkgpolicy=newest

[base]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Base
baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/4.0/base/

[updates]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Updates
baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/4.0/update/

[extras]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 Extras
baseurl=http://ftp.yellowdoglinux.com/pub/yellowdog/yum/4.0/extras/

[freshrpms]
name=Fresh rpms
baseurl=http://ayo.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/4.0/ppc/freshrpms/
Based on your advice, I take it that I should never point yum to rpms from YDL
4.0 if I'm using 4.1?  Are you aware of rpm repos (other than the obvious YDL
ones, which are currently down) that have been updated for 4.1 yet?  The
repos I currently have bookmarked are still stuck at YDL 4.0.

-PRH