edit yum config file

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Jun 18 05:31:47 MDT 2006

Hi Paul:
The answer to your question is yes.  Yum can indeed search through
several mirrors at the same time.  So if the yum.conf is written
correctly and hopefully my explanation is clear enough, then it is
possible to enjoy the benefit of letting yum do it's thing and you can
sit back and relax.  The awesome thing for me is that by utilizing yum
this way it allows yum to maximize or approach it's potential as a
program and the computer can approach it's usefulness as a tool doing
in seconds or minutes (if you have broadband or something faster) what
otherwise would drive a human being nuts.

I may add more urls in the future to yum.conf; I submitted these just
to be an example that others can be added and discuss as clearly as
possible just how to do that.
Also this method of examining the mirrors first allows you to determine
whether the servers are actually up and ready first before you write or
modify your yum.conf in the first place.  The servers you choose may go
down or change in the future but then you can comment it out.

By the way, just as an fun exercise there is an error in one of the
lines commented out.  Can you identify the error, determine why that
error will cause problems and that would be?

Ok, that's three questions presented as one.  Still, this kind of error
happens all the time.  Learn it now and you'll pick up others getting
in your way later.

As for tolerant and the others, you are probably aware that they are
acting as variables for which it is defined for yum that it may
investigate those categories exactly just one time.
As to why specifically they exist, I'll have to do a bit more research
and get back to you.  They could of course be commented out, but the
speed savings could be negligible.

Best wishes....