CD burning problems

Jason DeVita jdevita at umich.edu
Mon Jul 24 18:20:34 MDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, Paul Higgins wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with either K3b or X-CD-Roast?  Both of these are
> misbehaving when I try to erase a CD-RW in my iBook.  The erase fails, and
> K3b says something about how cdrecord is not running with root privileges and
> recommends running some setup thing that I can't find in any of the menus.
> The online help isn't particularly useful when it comes to this either.

I've never used either of those, and I've never burned a cd in YDL since
my ibook has no cd burner.  But, if you're getting an error message that
says cdrecord does not have root privileges, you might try setting the
user ID of cdrecord to root.**  First locate the cdrecord executable by
typing

   which cdrecord

It's most likely in /usr/bin/cdrecord, but I'm not at my YDL machine so I
can't check.  Then, as root, type

   chmod u+s /usr/bin/cdrecord

(assuming that's where it's located).  That will allow users to run
cdrecord in such a way that cdrecord will be allowed root privileges.

Hope that helps,
Jason

** Note that this is a potential security hazard, though usually a minor
one, especially on a single-user machine.