Sharing files across OS partitions

Jason DeVita jdevita at umich.edu
Mon Jul 24 18:23:46 MDT 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006, Mark Christal wrote:
> I am hoping to install a dual boot YDL/OSX system on my Ti Powerbook and was
> wondering how work on the YDL side of the hard drive can be shared with work
> on the Mac OS X side.  Will I be able to open up the Mac partition to
> retrieve files when I am running YDL and  visa versa?  If not, is there a
> partition scheme that I can create that would allow both OSs to read and
> write to a shared partition?

OSX uses HFS+ for its file system.  YDL has very good read/write support
for HFS (plain vanilla non-plus).  And I know that HFS+ can be read from
YDL, but I'm not sure if it can be written to.  Supposedly, there is now
full linux support for HFS+, but I don't know if the newest YDL has it by
default.  But if need be, it probably can be done.

Otherwise, you can set up an HFS "sharing" partition, which both OSX and
YDL can read/write from/to.  There are two downsides to this.  One is that
HFS does not allow for files larger than 2GB, so if you need to transfer
large files you'll need to find another way.  Second, you have to remember
to put your files on the shared partition before rebooting.  I've let out
many a "Doh!", after forgetting that.  Going from OSX to YDL, this is no
big deal, since YDL can read HFS+.  But OSX cannot read Linux partitions,
so you must remember this when going the other way.

Hope that helps,
Jason