Recompiling new kernel

Jason DeVita jdevita at umich.edu
Mon Jul 31 13:25:52 MDT 2006

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006, Ebrahim Mayat wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2006, at 10:22 AM, Jason DeVita wrote:
>
>> < >
>> First thing I'd try is removing the initrd line from new-kernel section of
>> yaboot.conf.  Since the error seems to be coming from the ramdisk, this
>> might solve the problem.  Having an initrd image is not necessarily needed,
>> so that could fix the whole problem.  If not, report back and we can try
>> building an initrd image from the new kernel.
>
> No, doesn't work: I get the same "ramdisk" error as previously. So, I guess
> that we should try the latter option.

Ok, well, I've never made an initrd image, but from the man page, it looks
pretty simple.  Like this:

   mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17.7.img 2.6.17.7

Try "man mkinitrd" or "info mkinitrd" to read about it.  Then add the
"initrd" line back into yaboot.conf, but this time pointing to the new
initrd image:

   initrd=/initrd-2.6.17.7.img

You might also consider pointing yaboot at the new system map with the
line:

   sysmap=/System.map-2.6.17.7

(assuming that's what you called it).

-J