Recompiling new kernel

Ebrahim Mayat ebmayat at mac.com
Mon Jul 31 17:07:08 MDT 2006

On Jul 31, 2006, at 3:25 PM, Jason DeVita wrote:

> Ok, well, I've never made an initrd image, but from the man page,
> it looks pretty simple.  Like this:
>
>   mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.6.17.7.img 2.6.17.7

This generates the compressed archive as expected.

> Try "man mkinitrd" or "info mkinitrd" to read about it.  Then add
> the "initrd" line back into yaboot.conf, but this time pointing to
> the new initrd image:
>
>   initrd=/initrd-2.6.17.7.img

Done.

> You might also consider pointing yaboot at the new system map with
> the line:
>
>   sysmap=/System.map-2.6.17.7
>
> (assuming that's what you called it.)

With and without the sysmap line, I get the same "Invalid memory
access" error. It seems that there still remains one or more omitted
steps.

Just one more thing, if this is of any importance, which I doubt, in
the following section

[4] Build and install the kernel and modules

    # make vmlinux

    # make modules

Assuming no errors above

    # make modules_install
    # cp arch/ppc/boot/vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.17.7
    # cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.17.7
    # ln -s /boot/System.map-2.6.17.7 /boot/System.map

I did "cp vmlinux /boot/vmlinux-2.6.17.7" since the "vmlinux" binary
was in the top-level directory and there was no "arch/ppc/boot"
directory.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

Regards.
Ebrahim