Recompiling new kernel (was:USB WiFi adapter for PBs)

Ebrahim Mayat ebmayat at mac.com
Wed Aug 2 10:45:11 MDT 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 9:23 AM, Jason DeVita wrote:

< >
> [3] Configure the kernel.  Since you are only changing one thing,
> it's best to start with the default YDL kernel config.
>
>    # cp /boot/config-2.6.xx-blah-blah .config
>    # make mrproper
>    # make menuconfig
>
> A menu-based configurator will come up -- this is where you need to
> tell the kernel to compile support for the bcm driver.  For this
> step, follow the instructions from the gentoo forum page listed above.

I just realized that "make mrproper" should be executed before the
"cp /boot/config-2.6.x.x.ydl.1 .config" command. As shown above, what
you do is delete the .config file that you have just created so that
the "make menuconfig" step makes one start from scratch.

Anyway, changing the order of "cp" and "make mrproper" commands
ultimately results in the following error for "make vmlinux"

LD init/built-in.o
LD .tmp_vmlinux1

drivers/built-in.o (.text + 0x60a10): In function`.imsttfb_probe':
undefined reference to `.nvram_read_byte'
make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1] Error 1

Any ideas as to where this build error comes from?

Ebrahim Mayat