Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Kenneth Browne kbrowne at alumni.umass.edu
Sun Aug 20 15:33:03 MDT 2006

Jeffrey Rolland wrote:
> Hello, all!
>
> I am attempting to install Yellow Dog Linux

First off! Don't give up. It isn't all that hard.
> (versions 3.0.1 and 4.0.1
> burned and tried, 2.3 burned but not yet tried, waiting for CDs onto
> which to burn 4.1) onto an Old World Mac (Power Macintosh 7500 with 1
> GB RAM and a 50 GB HD (10 GB Mac OS 8.6 and 40 GB unformatted)) and I
> am having trouble.
>
> The 4.0.1 disk won't load Anaconda (the YDL installer engine) and
> crashes.
>
> The 3.0.1 disk will load Anaconda, but won't read the 3.0.1 disk for
> data and keeps waiting for readable CD; the 3.0.1-loaded Anaconda
> will read the 4.0.1 disk a little bit, but then crashes.

On Old World Macs you cannot use a bootable CD without installing Boot-X
first on the Mac Side as an control panel.
I've done it on a PPC 5500 (motherboard as the 6500 but in an all in one
form factor that was sold to educational institutions.)
> Is there anybody on the list who has experience using BootX and

I'm currently running v. 4 alongside OSX on a G4 and it's been a while
since I toyed with Boot-X but to quote the printed copy of the v. 4
"Companion to Installing Yellow Dog Linux 4.0"  under the heading
NewWorldROM Computers..."Yellow Dog Linux no longer officially supports
OldWorld ROM computers....While this does not mean this version of
Yellow Dog Linux does not function with these systems, the required
BootX bootloader ( http://www.penguinppc.org/bootloaders/bootx ) must be
installed."

Here's the URL to the aforementioned installation guide.
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/ydl4.0_guide-double.pdf

as well as the URL to the v.3 guide with more details about installing BootX
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/installation/ydl3.0_guide-single.pdf

Hope this helps. I still have one of those old PPC5500's in my garage
awaiting a hard drive and a home :-)