Fwd: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Jeffrey Rolland jrolland at softhome.net
Sun Aug 20 23:18:19 MDT 2006

Hello again, all!

I tried a few different things, and wanted to provide more specific
feedback in the hopes that it may be useful information to some.

Trial 1:

For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on
the 4.0.1 CD (not the vmlinux-2.6.8-1.ydl.7 indicated in <http://
www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=249> ("how to install YDL 4.0
on old world mac?") and <http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?
t=381>). I was using ramdisk size 58192. I was using the "More Kernel
arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I am not sure what
ramdisk I was using.

For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

The exact error message I received was

"
	File "/usr/bin/anaconda:, line 193
		if outfields[0] == "connecting" and outfields[-1] == "failed":
		                                  ^
SynatxError: invalid syntax
"

The rest just indicated how the system abended and I could restart my
machine.

Trial 2:

For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on
the 4.0.1 CD. I was using ramdisk size 58192. I was using the "More
Kernel arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using
the ramdisk supplied on the 4.0.1 CD.

For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

The exact error message I received was

"
install exited abnormally
"

The rest just indicated how the system abended and I could restart my
machine.

Trial 3:

For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on
the 4.0.1 CD. I was using ramdisk size 58192. I was using the "More
Kernel arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using
the ramdisk supplied on the 3.0.1 CD.

For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

The exact error message I got was from Anaconda, and it said

"
You don't have enough RAM to run Yellow Dog. [OK]
"

(This is obviously silly, since I have 1 GB of RAM, but at least
Anaconda ran.)

Trial 4:

For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.6.10-1.ydl.1 included on
the 4.0.1 CD. I was using ramdisk size 18192. I was using the "More
Kernel arguments" of "video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using
the ramdisk supplied on the 3.0.1 CD.

For the CD, I was using the 4.0.1 CD.

The exact error message I got was from Anaconda, and it said

"
You don't have enough RAM to run Yellow Dog. [OK]
"

(This is again obviously silly.)

Hope this is of some use to someone.

Sincerely,