Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Jeffrey Rolland jrolland at softhome.net
Sun Aug 20 21:51:59 MDT 2006

Derick,

On Aug 20, 2006, at 6:29 PM, Derick Centeno wrote:

> Hi Jeffrey!
>
> I noted your earlier posting and thought the following link might
> interest you:
>
> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=381
>
> It provides instructions on how to prepare BootX settings (and other
> details) so that you will be able to use YDL 4.x as long as you
> need to
> use that Old World Mac.

This is essentially the same information as http://www.yellowdog-
board.com/viewtopic.php?t=249> ("how to install YDL 4.0 on old world
mac?"), but thanks for the pointer anyway.

> Regarding using earlier versions of YDL or any other Linux the
> important
> thing to consider is not so much the software as it is the reason why
> such a thing is necessary for you.  As you are probably aware, each
> increasing version number usually addresses flaws, errors and other
> problems not initially addressed in a prior version.  I tried to
> consider the possibility of some Linux software which did not rely or
> interact with or need support from the Linux kernel at some level (for
> processing, recompilation or something else) and frankly I found
> myself
> stuck.
>
> I'm not an engineer, nor does my knowledge base apply to the whole
> world
> of Linux -- and so I can only state that my own opinion is that it is
> best to move forward or in this case utilize YDL 4.0 at least.
> When you
> become more familiar with these instructions then perhaps you could
> attempt to develop a similar strategy presented in those instructions
> and adapt them yourself to fit YDL 4.1.

I agree; I will try to use 4.x if I can.

<snip discussion of dial-up vs. DSL/cable>

> There is one good thing behind all this though, according to this
> webpage:
>
> http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/others.shtml
>

> Your Mac should be able to run the current version of YDL as long
> as you
> use BootX.  Keep in mind that BootX is not provided with any
> version of
> YDL beyond YDL 3.0.  This means that the only guide to use the modern
> version of YDL (while using BootX) is to use that above link.

Yes, thanks for the heads up. Now we know that it *should* work; I
just haven't been able to get it to work yet.

> Just a different view, but did you bother to test the CD drive itself?
>

> You could use the hardware diagnostic test which is on the original
> Apple OS Install CD which came with that machine.  If you need to
> replace the drive make sure to have that replaced drive be as close to
> original Apple standard for that computer as possible.

I believe the drive is fine; it works for everything else with no
problems. Of course, since I'm not getting YDL to install, everything
is theoretically suspect; having said that, I *really* don't believe
the problem is the drive.

On the other hand, I haven't tested the CDs themselves, although I
will eventually get around to that part of the debugging process. One
way to do that is to test them on, say, a New World Mac (where we can
avoid all the BootX nonsense).

> Good Luck....

Thanks, I'll need it! :)

Sincerely,