Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sun Aug 20 17:29:54 MDT 2006

Hi Jeffrey!

I noted your earlier posting and thought the following link might
interest you:

http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?t=381

It provides instructions on how to prepare BootX settings (and other
details) so that you will be able to use YDL 4.x as long as you need to
use that Old World Mac.

Regarding using earlier versions of YDL or any other Linux the important
thing to consider is not so much the software as it is the reason why
such a thing is necessary for you.  As you are probably aware, each
increasing version number usually addresses flaws, errors and other
problems not initially addressed in a prior version.  I tried to
consider the possibility of some Linux software which did not rely or
interact with or need support from the Linux kernel at some level (for
processing, recompilation or something else) and frankly I found myself
stuck.

I'm not an engineer, nor does my knowledge base apply to the whole world
of Linux -- and so I can only state that my own opinion is that it is
best to move forward or in this case utilize YDL 4.0 at least.  When you
become more familiar with these instructions then perhaps you could
attempt to develop a similar strategy presented in those instructions
and adapt them yourself to fit YDL 4.1.

Following the instructions in the link will however be easier than
learning to tolerate file transfer with dial-up.  It is an unfortunate
truth that the available flexibility of what yum can access, the .iso's
available online (which are in the category of nearly 500+MB) only make
sense for download using either cable or DSL.  At least, at these speeds
you could burn at least 3 or 4 disks within a day.  You are probably
well aware that you have to include the download time to get the .iso as
well as the time to burn the disks.  At least some companies offer a
tier of offering of different DSL speeds, I have no interest in turning
this message into a free commercial, but maybe you could find a decent
deal with a company whose pricing approaches whatever your monthly costs
are now for dial-up.

I really don't see that using dial-up as a viable idea to download
hundreds of megabytes comprising only one installation CD of a set of 4
(for YDL 4.1) is a plan you can execute without it requiring many days
and a few nights, only to start from the very beginning should there be
a dropped line, or someone needs to reach you and gets an operator to
break the connection, etc.  Having experienced that myself when I used
dial-up years ago, it is not something I wish on anyone.

The other aspect of considering DSL is that so much of what is going on
in Linux really utilizes the flexibility brought about as a result of
these faster speeds.  For example, let's imagine that you acquire the
latest version of YDL and you notice that one of the standard programs
available with it is not the very latest version available from a
particular project.
Well, you can download the source and dependencies within half an hour,
then spend more time to build the application , install it, etc.  You
can shorten this a bit by using yum to search for all associated
dependencies, check for available updates available within that version
of YDL and have yum find all of it, get it and download it for you
within 15-20 minutes depending upon the complexities involved (such as
which mirrors yum.conf is looking at)....  on dial-up however all that
is prolonged intolerably... at least it is intolerable to me.

The option of acquiring CDs is not easy as it used to be either.  Gas is
going up, Delivery costs go up with them, and so do shipping fees.

There is one good thing behind all this though, according to this webpage:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/hardware/others.shtml

Your Mac should be able to run the current version of YDL as long as you
use BootX.  Keep in mind that BootX is not provided with any version of
YDL beyond YDL 3.0.  This means that the only guide to use the modern
version of YDL (while using BootX) is to use that above link.

Just a different view, but did you bother to test the CD drive itself?

You could use the hardware diagnostic test which is on the original
Apple OS Install CD which came with that machine.  If you need to
replace the drive make sure to have that replaced drive be as close to
original Apple standard for that computer as possible.

Good Luck....