Fwd: Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Jeffrey Rolland jrolland at softhome.net
Tue Aug 22 10:54:16 MDT 2006

Success! (Well, sorta ...)

After screwing around a bit with kernels, ramdisks, and CDs, I
arrived at a winning combo (I *knew* it was the kernel/ramdisk ...)

Trial n:

For BootX, I was using the kernel vmlinux-2.4.22-2fBOOT. I was using
ramdisk size 8192. I was using the "More Kernel arguments" of
"video=controlfb:vmode:13,cmode:32". I was using the ramdisk supplied
on the 3.0.1 CD.

For the CD, I was using the 3.0.1 CD.

Of course, this is an install of YDL 3.0.1, but, hey, it's an
install! I have to agree with Eric that "YDL 4.[x] and the OldWorld
Macs are simply not meant to be", although I will try using yum to
update to 4.x after I have the 3.0.1 install completed. (Could
someone give me a pointer to the info on how to update via CDs? I
used to hace the link, but now I can't find it.)

Anaconda started (in GUI mode!). I had to use fdisk to delete a Mac
OS partition on the partition of the hard drive onto which I wanted
to install YDL (Apple's Drive Partition utility only makes Mac OS
partitions, so I just needed to delete this and turn the partition
into free space), which was a bit scary, but I did it. Automatic
Partition on Anaconda took it from there.

Unfortunately, after selecting an "Everything" install for the
"Desktop" configuration, the installer hung on installing
xemacs-21.4.12-6, a 79,636 KB install (is that large?). There were 35
packages remaining out of 1380 total (1,345 completed) and 12 minutes
50 seconds remaining out of 4 hours 3 min 51 seconds total - VERY
FRUSTRATING! (%$^#*^%$*! ^%(%(*&$%#%! %^#^%##%^#^!) (Pardon my French
- I'm still learning.)

So, I'll try again with a smaller group of packages and excluding
xemacs (which I'll never use). But at least Anaconda ran!

Hope this is of use to someone.

Sincerely,
--
Jeffrey Rolland