Configuring a 802.11b USB key

bein limited beinltd at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 31 11:22:25 MDT 2006

Sorry - a little more info, as I try to work through this.

I created a linux directory in the usr/src directory: (root)/usr/src/linux).  It is now showing in Konqueror as well as in the command line, but I get the same error when I try to do the make config command.

Thanks,
Carol

bein limited <beinltd at yahoo.com> wrote: Hi,

I have tried to follow the instructions posted by Bill Mueller at
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_4.1/usb-802.11b-key.shtml
and I'm running into some problems (probably because I'm new).

I'm trying this on a G3 imac with YDL 4.1 installed from the disks (I haven't connected to the internet yet for updates, so let me know if that's where my problem is!)

I tried to follow the instructions, but used a more recent driver. I didn't run into problems until the make install.  So I went back and got the driver specified in the instructions and tried again.  Interestingly, the tar command creates a directory named linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1pre21 not linux-wlan-ng-0.2.1-pre21.

But when I did the make config and selected only the usb driver, it gave me the following:

Linux source directory [usr/src/linux]:

I pressed Enter, but it gave to following message:

Linux source tree /usr/src/linux is  incomplete or missing!
        See the HOWTO for a list of FTP sites for current kernel sources.
Configuration failed
make: *** [config] Error 1

Could someone clue me in to what I'm missing here, or what would get the config to work?

Thanks,

Carol Bean