Problems installing Yellow Dog Linux onto Old World Mac

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Thu Aug 31 19:21:39 MDT 2006

Does yaboot even work on an Old World machine?  According to the Debian
people, it doesn't.  They supply this link to several bootloaders:

<http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/>

According to this site, the BootX and quik bootloaders are compatible with the
Old World machines, but yaboot is not.  I read through a bit of the Debian
install manual for PowerPC, and they claim that the latest version of Debian
(3.1r2 "Sarge") will run on Old World machines.  However, it sounds like
there's a fair bit of work involved.

As much as I like the latest YDL, it looks like the best approach is either to
install an older version of YDL, or install Debian 3.1r2 following the
installation manual--carefully.  It's not the easiest install I've ever seen.
However, I use a Debian (x86) box at work, and I can certainly say that it's
one extremely stable and fast machine, and I've never regretted going with
Debian.  I really like the package management system and applications that
are available.

It would be nice if someone could figure out how to make YDL 4.0.1 (or better
yet, 4.1) install on Old World machines like the beige G3, but the reality is
that those machines are getting pretty old at this point, and there probably
aren't that many people masochistic enough to take on such a task.  I think
at this point, the only distros that support Old World are Debian and
Mandriva (and neither one is particularly easy to install on those machines).

You can download the Debian install manual here:

<http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>

-PRH