where from here...

barry kansaibear at mac.com
Mon Sep 4 01:40:02 MDT 2006

Installed YDL4.0 on my aging wallstreet to stretch the poor girls
life a bit.
Tried 3 but... just seemed to be lacking... especially in the
Japanese input dept.
Install went just fine with the instructions from:
http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=1086&highlight=#1086
and the bootx from the YDL3.x disk.

I set the ramdisk size to 18192 and used the graphic install.
after the install finished and the computer hung I rebooted
eliminating the ramdisk,

wouldnt boot.... guess specifying the root device in the bootx 1.2.2
window IS IMPORTANT : )

got it to boot but had video problems:
solved that with

video=atyfb:vmode:32,cmode: 14 5 (no video drivers checked)
needed that 5 on the end so it would log in with the graphic interface.

no acceleration but.. no worse than with unsupported OSX on Xpost
facto...

Ready to rock and roll but... NO JAPANESE....
searched the boards for a while, couldnt make heads r tails out em
being a newbie...

yum, gotta love that
open up a terminal, enter su and root password... then:
yum update
and let her run .. couldnt believe how many files she found to update!!
ok.. .had to do it twice cause I though she hung up and I returned a
couple of times....
gotta wait and then enter Y to make it all happy at the end.

fixed it all up.

Now she boots, inputs japanese (but only when logged in in
Japanese... a little irritating)
Is definitely faster than OSX 10.4 was on the poor girl.
We will wait to see if she implodes like tiger did every 6 months or
so....
dont know what the cause was but she would just get fed up and even
disk warrior wouldnt bring her back....

remaining irritations...

1. I miss all the eye candy and convenience of OSX, but since this
girl is only used sparingly, all will be fine.

2. CD... no sound... got the cool guitar music from the sound card
configurator,
get the song names in the player window like it should be playing....
made sure the volume was up....
but NO SOUND and no error message.... and no import to rythmbox 0.8.x
music player
It would be nice to soothe my savage beast with some smooth jazz as I
explore this alien OS...

3 No Airport... gotta motorola WN825G that fires right in in OSX and
even says Airport card in system profile...
even though it is compatible in a all functionality with the
airport.. could it be not compatible?
regardless of drivers etc, the power light does not come on so...
tried the network config system settings>network but here is the odd
deal
added wireless and it is eth0
rebooted and got no joy, plugged the lan back in and... STILL no
joy... then... out of the blue my GAIM up n logs in?
I look in the network window and eth0 (wireless) says all systems
go... or actually kidouchuu in japanese : )
and the eth0:] ....whatever the :] is.... says she is taking a nap...
at least that is what the japanese says...
I am pretty sure it means inactive : )
Just to be sure, I pull the lan cable and all goes dead... definitely
connected to wired lan.
Airport would be nice.....

4. Local Network... talk about unintuitive...
lets see... OSX is GO>connect to server>browse> and walla! pick yur
poison and get the password right and yur in.
do we have something like that in YDL4.0? sure would be convenient to
have airport and zero config network access...

If those things happened, all would be good in the land of OZ...

Of course if it would sync my ical so we could see and update the
calendar from that office... oh would life be beautiful...

Thanks, Bear

wallstreet (sonnet 500G3 upgrade)
10 gig travelstar
384 mg ram