where from here...

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 4 07:11:08 MDT 2006

On 04/09/06, barry <> wrote:
> Installed YDL4.0 on my aging wallstreet to stretch the poor girls
> life a bit.
> Tried 3 but... just seemed to be lacking... especially in the
> Japanese input dept.
> Install went just fine with the instructions from:
> http://www.yellowdog-board.com/viewtopic.php?p=1086&highlight=#1086
> and the bootx from the YDL3.x disk.
>
> Now she boots, inputs japanese (but only when logged in in
> Japanese... a little irritating)
> Is definitely faster than OSX 10.4 was on the poor girl.
> We will wait to see if she implodes like tiger did every 6 months or
> so....

In my case, each OS has been installed the same number of times on
each computer: once. Arguably, OS X is every so slightly ahead because
I do sooooooooo much more (installation/removal/running of third-party
hacks) with OS X than I do with YDL and it still hasn't imploded, but,
for all practical purposes they're the same stability-wise (of course,
I am running an officially supported machine with OS X!). YDL is
basically a glorified server to me and it does that job amazingly
well. OS X is my workstation OS and it does that job amazingly well.

Unless you mangle some setting (and that's hard to do ;-) (statement
laced with sarcasm), you'll be fine. One thing you may want to do is
activate your ssh server (sshd... ssh daemon) on YDL. This will allow
you to ssh into the machine from another computer, even if you muck
things up thoroughly (especially if, for instance, X-windows
implodes)!

> 2. CD... no sound... got the cool guitar music from the sound card
> configurator,
> get the song names in the player window like it should be playing....
> made sure the volume was up....
> but NO SOUND and no error message.... and no import to rythmbox 0.8.x
> music player
> It would be nice to soothe my savage beast with some smooth jazz as I
> explore this alien OS...

Lack of sound is a known issue and I'm fairly sure there is a
documented solution to your problem (in the archives of this mailing
list and also in the YDL forum). I never gave a damn about sound on
YDL (why does a server need sound ;-) so I didn't try hard to get
passed the 'playing of the jazz'.

> 3 No Airport... gotta motorola WN825G that fires right in in OSX and
> even says Airport card in system profile...

Is it an 802.11g 'Airport' card? It could be that a card that was
recognised as g AND Airport by OS X would require the same drivers as
Airport Extreme to work (and, that's a major P.I.T.A. to get to work).
Though, people use g cards on YDL all the time so it's probably just a
configuration problem.

> even though it is compatible in a all functionality with the
> airport.. could it be not compatible?
> regardless of drivers etc, the power light does not come on so...
> tried the network config system settings>network but here is the odd
> deal
> added wireless and it is eth0
> rebooted and got no joy, plugged the lan back in and... STILL no
> joy... then... out of the blue my GAIM up n logs in?
> I look in the network window and eth0 (wireless) says all systems
> go... or actually kidouchuu in japanese : )
> and the eth0:] ....whatever the :] is.... says she is taking a nap...
> at least that is what the japanese says...
> I am pretty sure it means inactive : )
> Just to be sure, I pull the lan cable and all goes dead... definitely
> connected to wired lan.
> Airport would be nice.....

> 4. Local Network... talk about unintuitive...
> lets see... OSX is GO>connect to server>browse> and walla! pick yur
> poison and get the password right and yur in.
> do we have something like that in YDL4.0? sure would be convenient to
> have airport and zero config network access...

You get what you pay for ;-). Ubuntu has made some nice progress in
that department though (and, maybe YDL 4.1 but I wouldn't know :-(,
though I'm not sure Ubuntu plays well with OldWorld machines. However,
I think it isn't that hard to mount network drives in YDL once you
know how to (knowing how to, that's the key ;-).

> Of course if it would sync my ical so we could see and update the
> calendar from that office... oh would life be beautiful...

There's programs that can handle iCal, IIRC (though, I don't know if
they've been back ported to YDL 4.0).

PS You may want to add the following repositories to your
/etc/yum.conf file (it allows you to update to some newer apps and get
some bug fixes/security fixes that are otherwise unavailable to your
machine):

[freshrpms]
name=Yellow Dog Linux 4.0 FreshRPMs
baseurl=http://ayo.uk3.freshrpms.net/yellowdog/4.0/ppc/freshrpms/