Getting started with packages...

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Sep 5 08:58:49 MDT 2006

Hi Andy!

The reported errors by yum, namely Error 4 and 256, refer to yum
complaining that you are using dial-up.
Yum can be instructed to tolerate your choice of using dial-up by
modifying the timeout variable within yum.conf.
This is done by first finding yum.conf which resides in the etc
directory.  Therefore do:

#cd /etc

then make a choice of which editor you are most familiar with.  I use
vim/vi:

#vim yum.conf

Look for the variable timeout and note how it is defined.  The default
is as follows:

timeout=30

Another contributor to the list who also uses dial-up discovered that
changing the value of timeout from 30 to 300 worked.  So do:

timeout=300

Then save your work and quit.

Yum should work from that point on.  What you have done is extend yum's
timeout (or how long it waits before it just quits) from 30 sec to 300 sec.

However the larger the program and packages you download, you may have
to modify the timeout variable again with an even larger value -- as
long as you use dial-up.

Good Luck....