Getting started with packages...

Andrew Ball xless at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 10:40:32 MDT 2006

Hello Derick,

    DC> The reported errors by yum, namely Error 4 and 256, refer to
      > yum complaining that you are using dial-up.  Yum can be
      > instructed to tolerate your choice of using dial-up by
      > modifying the timeout variable within yum.conf.

Thanks, that seems to have helped (I'm downloading the uucp package as
I type this reply).  Is there a yum package for the kernel source?  I
feel a custom kernel coming on.

I just found out that YDL's login screen is odd: it looks as though
daemons and things don't get started until I log in. I fired up my old
iBook and saw that it was sitting at the login screen.  I sit across
the room from it at my desktop machine, so I tried connecting with a
view to installing some software and perhaps even launching an X
client or two.  No joy until I log in at the iBook's keyboard though
(which involved standing on a stool, I should rearrange the furniture
a little ;-)

- Andy Ball.