Getting started with packages...

Andrew Ball xless at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 13:44:18 MDT 2006

Hello Derick,

    DC> Yum can be instructed to tolerate your choice of using dial-up
      > by modifying the timeout variable within yum.conf.

Thanks, that enabled me to install gcc, which in turn enabled me to
bootstrap pkgsrc.  This is useful because yum seems to lack packages
that pkgsrc has (perhaps they're there, but I know how to find them in
pkgsrc).

I would like to build the Blackbox X window manager, but pkgsrc is not
able to find X headers. Are those something that I can fetch with yum?

- Andy Ball

[root at job blackbox]# bmake
=> Required installed package digest>=20010302: digest-20060826 found
===> Skipping vulnerability checks.
WARNING: No /usr/src/pkgsrc/distfiles/pkg-vulnerabilities file found.
WARNING: To fix, install the pkgsrc/security/audit-packages
WARNING: package and run: ``/usr/pkg/sbin/download-vulnerability-list''.
=> Checksum SHA1 OK for blackbox-0.65.0.tar.gz
=> Checksum RMD160 OK for blackbox-0.65.0.tar.gz
===> Installing dependencies for blackbox-0.65.0nb6
=> Required installed package x11-links>=0.25: NOT found
=> Verifying reinstall for ../../pkgtools/x11-links
ERROR: x11-links-0.30 requires X headers to be installed
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/src/pkgsrc/pkgtools/x11-links
*** Error code 1

Stop.
bmake: stopped in /usr/src/pkgsrc/wm/blackbox
[root at job blackbox]#