Getting started with packages...

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Thu Sep 7 14:17:26 MDT 2006

Hi Andy!

Glad things are moving along for you!  I haven't attempted it with YDL
4.1 but you could do:

#yum search xbox*

If yum has that information available to it; it will find it by
searching the various mirrors you've entered into yum.conf.  You could
also do:

#yum search xwindows*

or even

#yum search x*

The * acts as a wildcard symbol telling yum that any combination of
letters or numbers are acceptable.  The advantage of doing things this
way is that you may actually find the thing you want, but would never
have guessed how that package was actually named by the developers!
This little item has always surprised me personally.  So maybe the last
choice:

#yum search x*

is actually a good strategy.  As yum find things it will inform you
regarding what is installed, available and what is not installed.
Remember that you should really do:

#man yum

or

#info yum

to learn more regarding how yum functions.  For the time being just
install what you wish with yum; don't remove packages with yum however.

Returning to x*, yum will search anything with x and may actually find
those portions of x not installed.  Make a note of whatever yum lists
which interested you and then install it.  For examples, if it finds
xwindows, you can do:

#yum install xwindows*

This will install xwindows as well as whatever is associated with
xwindows.  Other than using yum you would perhaps have to go the project
itself and build from source.  Let's say you can't do without xbox, then
you may have to go to xbox.org themselves and download whatever is the
latest thing available.  If you go that route make sure that you are
familiar and comfortable with the compilation process within Linux.

Here a page which could be useful; it contains all kinds of stuff which
I just passed over rather quickly.  Here it is:

http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/support/solutions/ydl_general/