stupid newbie questions........ alsa , mail

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Sep 5 13:51:57 MDT 2006

Derick beat me to it with his advice re: alsamixer.  It certainly sounds like
it hasn't been installed.  I did an "everything" install on my machine, so
for me it's been there from the beginning.  Re: email, I thought that YDL
came with a spam filter (spamassassin?).  Again, if you did less than a full
install, it might not yet be on your system.  I use KMail and am happy with
it.

Re: other email clients, you may already be aware that the Mozilla people
stopped development on the Mozilla suite in order to focus on the stand-alone
applications (Firefox browser and Thunderbird email).  So you might want to
pick up at least the browser, as it looks like all the helpful plugins and
extensions are now being written nearly exclusively for that application.

Also, for managing packages, etc., yum is pretty decent, but I've really
gotten spoiled by Debian (on my x86 work machine + my dual G4), which I have
to say is probably the best distribution when it comes to this task.  Anyway,
Synaptic (Debian's GUI-based package manager) is also available for YDL (from
freshrpms, I believe).  I recently installed it and it appears to work OK.

-PRH

P.S  I should also correct an erroneous statement I made: the two distros that
claim to still run on Old World machines are Debian and Mandriva (not
Ubuntu).