follow-up, K3b + CD burning

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Sat Sep 9 15:12:27 MDT 2006

I just wanted to send along a brief follow-up on this topic, in case someone
else might be having problems like I did:

About a month ago, I posted a message about problems I was having with CD
writing on my iBook (YDL 4.0.1), mostly with K3b but also with X-CD-Roast.
The main problem was that according to both apps, neither cdrecord nor cdrdao
ran with root privileges, which apparently causes serious problems for most
CD-burning software.  So anyway, at the advice of people on the list, I used
chmod to set them up to run as root.

Anyway, after I changed cdrecord and cdrdao, there was another problem with
K3b: when I would try to burn a CD project, I would immediately get an error
message--something about not being able to find the SCSI bus.  Well, an iBook
doesn't _have_ a SCSI bus, so I knew something was bogus.  I went back to the
"burn" dialog where you can choose burn speed, verify, etc., and I found I
only needed to make one change: the "Auto" setting for burning needs to be
changed to "DAO".  I remembered that the X-CD-Roast setup strongly encourages
the use of disk-at-once before trying other settings, and this apparently
holds for K3b, too.  With that setting altered, everything appears to work
OK; I was able to burn the first session of a multisession CD and verify it.

I don't know what the problem is with that "Auto" setting and why it's bogus,
but it is.  A shame, because K3b is a _really_ good burning app with a very
attractive GUI and tons of features.  It also has some pretty funny sound
effects when things go well (and even when they don't).

Thanks to the list for all the help, and hopefully this is a bit of giving
back for the assistance I've received.

-PRH