Missing Dependencies

Justin Hill justinevil at comcast.net
Tue Sep 12 00:43:34 MDT 2006

Hello!

I'm a linux noob. Yay.

Anyways, I have had trouble installing almost everything I've tried. I
seem to be missing a whole lot of dependencies for apps such as apt,
mplayer and xmms. I figure I just need to find some new repositories to
add to my yum.conf file. For example, when I tried installing apt via
yum, I got this:
Error: Missing Dependency: libreadline.so.4 is needed by package apt
Error: Missing Dependency: librpmio-4.3.so is needed by package apt
Error: Missing Dependency: librpmdb-4.3.so is needed by package apt
Error: Missing Dependency: librpm-4.3.so is needed by package apt

And when trying to compile the XMMS source, I got this:
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables
Hello!

I'm a linux noob. Yay.

Anyways, I have had trouble installing almost everything I've tried. I
seem to be missing a whole lot of dependencies for apps such as apt,
mplayer and xmms. I figure I just need to find some new repositories to
add to my yum.conf file. For example, when I tried installing apt via
yum, I got this:
Error: Missing Dependency: libreadline.so.4 is needed by package apt
Error: Missing Dependency: librpmio-4.3.so is needed by package apt
Error: Missing Dependency: librpmdb-4.3.so is needed by package apt
Error: Missing Dependency: librpm-4.3.so is needed by package apt

And when trying to compile the XMMS source, I got this:
checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
cannot create executables

When trying to install mplayer via yum, I got this:
Error: Missing Dependency: libfribidi.so.0 is needed by package mplayer
Error: Missing Dependency: libxmms.so.1 is needed by package mplayer

Hmmm...I've searched through the forums, but haven't found any answers,
so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.