Missing Dependencies

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Tue Sep 12 15:58:28 MDT 2006

Are you sure you don't mean apt-get?  Because the apt package (as opposed to
apt-get) sounds seriously half-baked.  Here's part of the very brief manpage
for apt:

"APT  is  a management system for software packages.  It is still under
development; the snazzy front ends are  not  yet  available.   In the
meantime, please see apt-get(8)."

and:

"This manpage isn’t even started."

Try "man apt-get" and you should get a little more satisfaction.

I never had any trouble with mplayer when installing, so I really can't
comment on your experience; however, for me, actually _using_ mplayer proved
to be problematic.  So far, all it does is crash on launch.  I'm not yet
brave enough to compile big multimedia apps like mplayer from source, which
is likely the best way to actually get it working.  Instead, I took the
advice of people on this list and installed xine, which does work very well.

In addition to using yum and apt-get at the command line, I also use Synaptic,
which is a tool from Debian.  I've been particularly spoiled by Synaptic--my
work machine runs Debian 3.1r2 ("Sarge"), and it's practically the only thing
I use on that machine.  Synaptic has been ported to Fedora and therefore YDL,
and I haven't regretted installing it.  It's a very nice GUI version of
apt-get, and it can install .deb and .rpm packages, in both source and
executable forms.

You might want to see what's available using these tools first before you
compile anything.  (The repository list for apt-get and Synaptic is located
in /etc/apt/sources.list).

-PRH