fsck and filesystem errors

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Sat Sep 16 04:23:54 MDT 2006

Hi Paul:

I don't use that version of YDL however, the instructions are pretty
clear.  You can try to see if it works using the 1st install CD of YDL
4.0 and proceed from there.

The whole point of using a repair tool like fsck is to use it on the
drive you want repaired, not on the same drive the tool is running
from.  Think about it.  This also holds true for any OS whether it be
Windows, Macs or something else.  Just to extend the discussion a tiny
bit, this is why Micromat developed the eDrive concept which is
essentially a tiny partition with the requisite software so that the
partition with OS X can be safely repaired from this eDrive -- a rather
nice trick.  However with YDL also on the same drive that means I've got
three different partitions OS X, the eDrive, and YDL; it took a lot of
thinking to figure out the proper partition structures allowing them to
share one drive.
There is no manual for that I'm afraid.

Anyway don't get confused regarding what OS X can do with journaling and
ext3.  Referring to details of the formatting theory behind these
concepts is a bit of a challenge and definitely not light reading but as
you've gotten this far you might as well go farther and do the
research.  I'm right behind ya buddy, and should review the same
material myself!  I just don't intend to do that kind of reading right now!

Linux, or any other OS, has tools which need to be mastered by
independent minded persons -- like ourselves -- who want to do things
our own way.  You can't get much more your own way, than open source.
Sadly, as attractive as OS X is; it is too seductive in that nearly
anyone can become too comfortable in being supported by the OS and
forgetting that it is in fact a tool in the same way that the keyboard
is a tool.  And like any tool one should be familiar with it's guts so
that one builds what one wants!  Of course, Apple's design is
intentionally structured to make you forget that ... the computer is
your buddy, your friend, and for some people ... well, you get the idea.

YDL is a tool for you.  Yours.  Mine.  Completely.  YDL is completely
open and available for minute study, research and review.  OS X is only
somewhat open even though officially it's license is defined as
equivalent to the GPL (this is still a point of argument for some).
Apple can remove the source of OS X and make it unavailable at any
time.  I believe YDL is a special, high quality Linux; it shares with
all other Linux that ALL it's source is available -- all the time.  No
need to ask permission to see it!  So let's take advantage of that fact
and dig in!
Take charge --- own it!

I believe Picard (a character of the Enterprise universe) would
encourage and challenge us if he was our instructor with the phrase,
"dare to make it so!"

Good Luck...