fsck and filesystem errors

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Sep 15 22:27:22 MDT 2006

Should this also work for YDL 4.0.1?  That's what I'm currently running on my
iBook.  I would've updated but I'm a little nervous about the whole KMail
problem when migrating to 4.1 (detailed on the YDL site).  I notice that the
link mentions YDL 3.0, but it's on the YDL "general" support page, so
hopefully this works OK for all versions.

I assume you can't do a manual fsck right at boot time, you need to use a boot
CD?  I think in Mac OS X you can boot into a console from the login window or
something (">console" as login, I think).

I guess I got a little too overconfident in journaling filesystems--thought
with ext3 filesystem that I'd never see a disk problem.  Wishful thinking, I
guess.

Thanks for your help!

-PRH