YDL on formatted drive?

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Sep 19 12:04:20 MDT 2006

Hi Ian:
Is it possible, given that you have "many" drives, to use just one
solely for YDL? This strategy would avoid the situation of using Apple's
Disk Utility to format two partitions at once and instead you could then
be free to format the entire drive as Free Space for YDL.

YDL needs to have the partition formatted as Free Space, not hfs. If, I
understood you correctly, you formatted that partition to be hfs
instead, yes? I think however the entire drive may have to be
reformatted anyway. I hope I am misunderstanding you but it sounds like
there was a Mac partition and a Free Space partition and you reformatted
the Free Space partition to be hfs? If that is what you did then the
entire drive needs to be reformatted anyway. There may be some
information on the OS X side, but it may not be readable. And even if it
is, it can't be relied upon. Apple's warning regarding Disk Utility is
quite clear.

You could use tar or other utilities within OS X for back up (I
believe), if you don't have Retrospect from Dantz. Try turning this
situation into an advantage... you could use this drive as a dedicated
Linux drive for YDL. If that drive is a Firewire drive, great! YDL can
boot from it.

If you are interested you can contact MacMall or MacConnection (or
elsewhere) and ask if they sell hard drive enclosures providing
Firewire/USB ports which would allow you to take an internal drive you
may have available (such as this one) and give it new life as an
external drive. Although YDL will only boot from a Firewire drive, the
USB port may prove useful later. Just some ideas....

Good Luck...