RealPlayer10 issues

Paul Higgins higg0008 at tc.umn.edu
Fri Sep 22 16:36:03 MDT 2006

Anyone have luck getting RealPlayer10 for Linux to work on YDL?  I was able to
get RealPlayer installed, but I can't get any movies to play.  (I did have
some luck playing mp3 files, however).  The player just hangs and has to be
force-quit.

I'd also be interested in whether anyone has tried the Helix Player, which is
mentioned somewhere on the YDL site.  From what I understand, it can also
play RealPlayer movies.

I hate to once again sound like a broken record re: Debian, but both the Helix
Player and RealPlayer10 work perfectly on Debian 3.1r2 "Sarge".  Now this is
on my old x86 Dell junker machine at work, so maybe this is yet another issue
of PPC Linux not being as polished as it is in the x86 world.  However, the
executable that I downloaded is indeed a PPC binary, and the installer script
seemed to work exactly the same as I remember when I installed RealPlayer on
Debian.

Anyway, it would be great to be able to play Real movies on YDL, because my
only other option it seems is to boot into OS X each time I want to play any
Real content, which is kind of a cumbersome solution.

Thanks,
-PRH