linux is too expensive

Collin O'Neill coneill at pobox.com
Tue Sep 26 10:45:32 MDT 2006

Eric Dunbar wrote:
> On 26/09/06, Troy W. Banther, B.Sc. <troy at banther.homelinux.net> wrote:
>
>> I work in an ITS shop at a university. I'm the primary Linux person even
>> though I run the X servers as-well-as the *nix box.
>>
>> We not only have to support our departmental mission but those of all others
>> across campus and two other remote sites.
>>
>> You need to be aware of what the user or departmental need is. For example,
>> the anthropology department uses Linux and has for years for some of the
>> programs in its discipline. Macs are used in the Art department exclusively.
>>
>> Windows is used by most of the staff and faculty at a high licensing price.
>> You should also see the pain of my fellow M$ admins as they manage their
>> work.
>>

> Of course, those Windows admins _love_ that pain since it's that pain
> that keeps them employed. That's the same reason Linux will find its
> niche -- the folks in IT _like_ getting paid and the best way to
> ensure job security is to make yourself indisposable and the best way
> to do that is to make sure that the software that's run requires
> 'support'. If the software didn't require high tech support then
> there'd be no reason for a large IT department ;-).

This is definitely reflected in the Microsoft World View.  The
tremendous licensing infrastructure alone can be daunting.  It's no
wonder big companies hire people with the sole task of monitoring assets
/ aka licenses. Applications like Share Point, which are very cool on
their own, end up requiring job titles just to maintain and support
them. Is the efficiency gained by a complex collaboration program worth
the extra salary? It's a case by case basis.