linux is too expensive

Derick Centeno aguilarojo at verizon.net
Tue Sep 26 12:07:24 MDT 2006

Salutations Everyone:

Eric, you brought out nearly all the points I would have.

Norberto, has responded rather passionately,although in the recent past
he has portrayed himself as a lurker or mere visitor.  He usually is
very quietly cooperative most of the time.

Mr. Banther's comments, reflect my own experience as I likewise held a
similar position supporting and doing programming for both a small
college and Ivy League class medical college, their library and their
hospital's computer lab systems (dedicated to processing algorithms
critical to testing patients and preparing reports for physicians which
they used as a basis for conducting surgeries and other procedures).

Kansaibear, be sure that there is recognition amongst this diverse
community that there are vast numbers of persons like yourself.
Unfortunately, what Norberto pointed out though stinging, remains true.

The points you raised as well are true as well.

The heart of the difficulty is transferring useful information, when
needed, at the right point in time.  Addressing such a match between
need and execution in a timely manner, is something which few systems of
government, business or education address well.  This probably has been
a challenge since persons started to think.

Although I'm unsure whether something so ancient can be resolved, I do
believe lessening the overall research time is conducive to addressing
this challenge.
Towards that end, I recommend the following resources:

* The Linux Documentation Project: http://tldp.org/

* The Complete Fast Training Linux Course: http://www.ftlinuxcourse.com/

* Barnes & Noble Professional, Tech & Bus Store:
http://btob.barnesandnoble.com/home.asp?z=y&btob=Y

* Howto forge: http://www.howtoforge.com/taxonomy_menu/1?from=10
   Comment: They cover various Linux distributions and discuss various
strategies and procedures within those distributions.

One point that Norberto missed is that sometimes what is available
locally isn't a Williams and Sonoma, but rather a Walgreens or Walmart
-- sometimes not even that.  Sometimes the local food store is run by
the same fellow who also runs the barber shop and is the part-time sheriff.

Again the challenge is where to acquire information where one can learn
and then apply that learning constructively.  The references and
resources provided here can be useful, if one dedicates time to them.
The nice thing about this period of our lives is that this information
is available now, almost planet-wide via the net.
Acquiring the tools, and skills to utilize them well however, will take
time -- we remain human and time weighs heavily on us all.

Even so, with sufficient determination and study your project can be done.

However, in moving forward in any endeavor, each thinker needs to
consider how one's hardware is useful or not, as the world marches
forward in technology.  If one insists on holding onto older technology
whether it be software or hardware, then one also needs to be ready to
accept those additional challenges.

Linux moves forward in the march as well, and libraries of programs and
dependencies will become antiquated and this will force the determined
few to support these themselves, long after the original authors have
moved on to supporting current hardware/software algorithms which work
more efficiently.  The problem of exposures to security risks, such as
becoming increasingly vulnerable to hackers and other very real
malcontents of human society that exist within cyberspace, also is
another difficulty.  There should be no doubt that they use Linux also.

In the interest of maintaining whatever innocent, broadminded or
well-intended service one may have in mind, eventually one must consider
the interest of whom all this is for.  The essence of Linux, and I
certainly believe this of YDL, is providing a service -- for others to
benefit from and use.  The question I raise may not be the ultimate or
best, but it certainly is central or important.

What is the quality and nature of one's service or contribution if it is
so antiquated that it is vulnerable to attack and/or regular failure,
such that the users one planned to serve cannot in fact use the service
without inconveniencing themselves?